studio time during the shutdown

I have been re-working old pieces for the past few months. When I say that, I mean in the three times I sat down to paint since the beginning of the year 2020, I have been working on the colors and perspectives of three of my old pieces.

The first piece, above, was one that I didn’t like. Even when I “finished” it the first time, it wasn’t really completed. I usually feel that way though. It always seems like I could keep working something forever. In reality, I work on it until I am bored. The Staredown still doesn’t seem finished though. I think it needs to be blended together in some way. I may need to recolor the body or add some goldenrod. I’m not sure.

I have also been playing with watercolors as a means to study color mixing. I love watercolors, but I am really bad at them to be honest. I enjoyed this session (below) of playing around with the color wheel to achieve moodiness and cohesiveness in a palette.

View this post on Instagram

I'll just be over here practicing my color mixing.

A post shared by Lost Upstate (@lostupstatestudios) on

The other two pieces I am re-working are still in progress. Both are portraits of my sisters. They needed something more to make them come alive. I have been trying to remember that photographs only need to influence and motivate a piece; they don’t need to be duplicated in the piece. In effect, I have been attempting to be more ethereal and fantastical with the colors and backgrounds. I want my work to reflect my interpretation of the moment that was captured by the photograph.

I am really proud of the progress I made on the one below.

last weekend’s successes

Last weekend, I was so very productive. I can’t even believe it. I did the dishes, cleaned the bathroom, fixed my computer, mowed the lawn, and organized the basement and garage a bit. I also took down all the wall hangings in the hallway/bathroom upstairs and taped off the moulding and windows to paint. I painted two coats of primer with a friend’s help and then one coat of a pretty pale blue. I had it all complete by Sunday morning.

I don’t know if there is any paint job more satisfying than one that covers up wood paneling. It’s one of the best things in the world. Our house had two different shades of paneling upstairs. There’s a light colored one that is on the stairway and most of the walls, but there was the pine colored to the left of the stairs. That’s the section I painted over.

I think the stairway will be done in a white or almost-white paint. I can’t wait for that day. Luckily, the lighter paneling covers very easily. No stains seep through the primer, that means that even though it is more wall space, it should go more quickly.

I used Kilz white primer (which I found in the basement), painters tape, a screwdriver (to remove the electric coverings and wall fixtures), and Kilz interior paint (another thing I found in the basement). We brushed the paint onto the panel seams to make sure those were filled in first then rolled the rest. I cut into the ceiling and floor by hand. I made a mess on the tile frames, but I’m certain that will scrape off with a blade.

I’m really happy with how bright it is. Sara and I aren’t used to blue because our Mom does not like blue at all. It’s sort of surprising to see such a bright color on the walls. I think it is going to stick though and will be really neat when we finish painting the rest of the hall.

I also really want my room to be either painted or completely gutted and redone. I like the feel of my room, bu the wood paneling is just so… brown. I gave it a little more character by staining it, but it’s just not shiplap. It looks like paneling. I WANT TO PAINT ALL THE PANELING. Muahahaha!